Monday, October 03, 2005

French Women Don't Get Fat

The other day I finished French Women Don’t Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano.   It was a trip down memory lane for me, as I lived in France and Belgium for sixteen months in my early twenties (I was a missionary for my church).  Ever since my European experience I have pondered (and bored others) with my thoughts on the thinness of the French.  They eat a lot of excellent food.  You never see them out jogging or at the gym (I don’t recall ever seeing a gym).  Everything is made with real butter (and proudly advertised as such).  Marvelous patisseries everywhere.  Fries are stilled fried in animal fat (but not hydrogenated oil – is that part of the secret?).  They eat multi-course meals.  And in spite of all this, or as the author would say, because of all this, they are thinner.  You never see enormously obese people over there.  Really, I mean never.  A little thick around the waist in middle age sometimes, but that’s it.  The book basically cements everything that I had observed and concluded, except the author does it much better than I ever could!  It made me wish I had thought of writing it, except that I am not all qualified.  

The book was enjoyable to read, although Guiliano can be a little repetitive sometimes.  She says it is not a diet book, but there are a few recipes in there.  It’s really more a life-style change book.  If you’re looking for a quick and easy lasting fix, this is not it, because there is no such thing.  My main problem is that the author is obviously well-to-do, and many of her food recommendations are expensive, or out-of-reach for those of us who don’t live in a cosmopolitan city.  I cannot afford to have my chocolate shipped in from overseas, and regular old balsamic vinegar from Wal-Mart will have to do for me.  Of course, the French do tend to spend a greater proportion of their income on food than Americans do.  But I believe that it is possible to incorporate enough of the French lifestyle to stay thin and healthy, without breaking your budget.

Key points I liked are:  Indulge in what you like, but in moderation, and in high quality (only good, dark chocolate).  Avoid processed, chemical-filled foods, soda, etc.  Eat slowly.  Sit down to eat, without the TV.  Watch your portion size.  Walk and climb stairs whenever possible.  Eat a large variety of fruit and vegetables often.  Change your attitude about food (gotta read the book for more on that).  None of it is rocket science, but yet look how many Americans are overweight!

No comments: