Saturday, January 07, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia Movie

Hubby and I finally went and saw them much-heralded The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe last night. While not fully capturing the magic and intensity of the book, it was still well-done. I thought the children were well-cast, and the computer effects stunning. Some of the dialogue was a bit slow-moving, though. I try to imagine seeing the film without having read the book, and I believe the film would be a bit flat and even puzzling in its religious symbolism. Anyone who hasn't read the books definitely should, whether or not you plan to see the movie. My favorite book of the series is the first one chronologically, The Magician's Nephew, which would have made a better movie. All of the books are pure enjoyment, though. My mother tried to get me to read them when I was kid, but I wouldn't, as I didn't like fantasy. A few years ago, I decided I needed to read them to be well-read, and was captivated from the beginning.

1 comment:

Dan said...

The first one I read was "Voyage of the Dawn Treader", at the age of about 12 (THAT one would make an excellent movie as well...I picture Patrick Stewart doing the voice of Reepicheep). My sister gave the whole set to me as a Christmas gift, and I finished the last one by the end of that January, and I've reread the whole set a couple of times since...I'm probably due for another trip soon, as it's been about a decade or so. Absolutely a work of art. I haven't seen the movie yet, but The Wife has and I plan to, probably when it's released on DVD, since it'll be out of the theaters before I get the chance. Sigh. Such is life.