Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Refinishing the table

I took the girls to Home Depot this morning and bought some stain and other supplies.  I’m going to tackle refinishing our dining room table.  We bought it at a yard sale, and the finish is quite marred, so I figured I can only make it look better (I hope!).  But I’m going to be lazy and just do the tabletop.  I just can’t stand to sand corners, table legs, etc.  Last spring I refinished a nightstand, I learned how hard all that detail work is.  I tried using paint remover (overcoming my fears after reading the warning label), but did not have good results with it, as I did not really know what I was doing.  So this time I’m taking the easy way out, even if it is a little unorthodox.  I know the stain I bought doesn’t exactly match the original, but hopefully it won’t be too glaringly different.  Of course, half the challenge of this project has nothing to do with craftsmanship and everything to do with trying to do it with my two little “helpers.”

No comments: